If dogs are a man’s best friend, knives are a chef’s best friend. The way you store your prized knife set is reflective of the care you provide your most valuable kitchen tools.
Here’s where a quality knife roll comes into play.
You want a knife roll to:
- Protect your knives at all costs.
- Give you great value for money.
- Serve as a testimony to your style.
- Only get better with age.
In the kitchen, your knives make you great. Store and carry them in a knife bag that will keep them great well into the future.
A quality knife bag will:
- Protect your knives from knocking against each other, which can lead to premature dulling.
- Keep your knives away from moisture and the elements.
- Complement your personal style in an understated way.
The best knife bag options on the market are made of leather. It is one of the materials most beloved by chefs, and rightfully so.
As Nicholas Cage says in ‘Wild at Heart’, leather is a symbol of freedom and individuality.
"This is a snakeskin jacket. And for me, it’s a symbol of my individuality and my belief…in personal freedom."
Top Leather Knife Roll Bag Options for 2021
An excellent knife bag comes from high-quality materials; in this case, you can’t get better than top-grain and full-grain leather. For a full list of knife rolls of all materials check out this handy guide.
Without further ado, here are the best leather knife rolls you can get as a chef:
Vagabond Knife Roll - Full Grain Leather
The full-grain leather knife bag from Dalstrong is the best accessory for a traveling chef. You can carry it by either the shoulder strap or the handles, offering both style and function.
The highest quality handmade leather is used to craft this chefs knife roll. Dasltrong employs master craftsmanship and attention to detail to deliver world-class functionality. The roll comes with 14 standard pockets and two additional pockets for your longest knives.
With the leather knife bag, you also get an extra-large zipper pocket for your other chef’s tools.
This full grain leather roll is the only knife luggage you’ll ever need as a master chef.
Vagabond Knife Roll - Top Grain Leather
This top grain leather roll from Dalstrong is engineered to perfection. It is the best accessory for a traveling chef and serves as a testament to your love of the culinary arts.
With the top grain leather roll, you get premium quality Brazillian leather. Dalstrong has crafted each bag for toughness and durability.
Every handmade top grain bag from Dalstrong comes with:
- Extra thick walls made to keep your knives secure.
- Intricate stitching for a sophisticated appeal.
- Ornate fasteners and zippers for extra functionality.
- Carrying capacity for 16 knives up to 20” long.
- 2 large pockets for your longer knives.
- An extra thick shoulder strap for functional transport.
If you are a chef who loves your knives you can get this knife bag in black.
Why Choose a Leather Knife Roll?
Chances are, you’ve dropped some real money on your knives. Treat them with respect by storing them in a high-quality knife bag.
Chefs around the world love leather because it:
- Comes in different varieties to suit your personal taste.
- Offers high-quality and durable material.
- Continuously improves over time.
With that, let's discover more about leather and why it makes the perfect case for your high-quality knives.
Different Qualities of Leather
Before investing in a chefs knife roll, you must understand the different qualities of leather. The quality of leather you choose will affect the bag’s appearance and durability. Do you want top grain? Do you want a waxed canvas? These are all things to consider.
Leather comes in four main qualities:
- Top grain
- Genuine leather
- Corrected grain
The best grains you can get for your knife roll are:
Full Grain Leather
This is the best quality leather and a chef’s dream when it comes to knife bag materials.
Full-grain leather comes from the topmost layer of the hide and preserves all of the natural grain. It lends its unique natural grain to the final product, while also giving the roll a luxurious, smooth feel.
Over time, full-grain leather develops a thin protective layer called a patina, which keeps it from wearing out. The patina gives it more character and an aesthetic unique to leather.
Adding a protective coating to full-grain leather further protects it from wearing out and staining over time.
Dalstrong offers chefs a full-grain roll made from premium Brazilian leather.
Top Grain Leather
This is the second-best in quality and the most common type of leather.
You get high quality, top grain leather by removing the top layer found in raw leather. Removing the top layer makes it thinner and more pliable.
While working with top-grain leather, manufacturers sand the surface and apply a finishing coat to improve its appearance. It also ages well and develops its own kind of patina.
If you want a reliable choice for your knives, you want this top grain knife bag from Dalstrong.
Durability of Leather
Chefs love leather for the unparalleled durability and quality it offers.
As a chef, a leather roll is the final storage piece you will need for your beloved knives.
As humans developed, we invented techniques for manipulating leather. This led to the discovery of more uses for leather, including its use in the making of knife rolls.
Most of the leather today comes as a by-product of meat production. Without leather products, most of the hide would end up in landfills.
The processing of hide into leather knife rolls creates timeless and stylish pieces. You can cut and shape leather with comparative ease. It is supple, light, and breathable, which protects your knife bag from bacteria. This also makes your bag easy to clean.
Leather in the Kitchen; Is It a Good Choice?
As a chef, you know how messy a kitchen can get, exposing your leather knife bag to grease and other food stains.
Luckily, high-quality leather is easy to clean and maintain, making it a good companion for every chef.
- Get a soft micro-fiber cloth, warm water, and mild soap.
- Mix the soap and water.
- Dip the cloth in the soapy water and wring it out. The cloth should be damp but not wet.
- Gently rub the cloth on your knife bag. This is enough to remove any grease or stains.
- Use a dry cloth and wipe off the leather gently. This should be enough to dry the leather. Leave it to air-dry overnight and it is good to go.
If you want to give your knife bag some extra love, you can use leather cream or conditioner. These products help keep it supple and waterproof.
Which Is the Best Knife Roll for 2021?
In your work as a chef, carry a leather knife roll that you can be proud of. It is a statement of confidence in the knives that are housed within.
With Dalstrong, chefs can choose between two of the best quality leather rolls on the market. When choosing between top grain and full grain, it is a matter of preference.
More Great Product Recommendations
- Best Sushi Knives
- Best Kitchen Knives
- Best Fillet Knives
- Best Chef's Knives
- Best Paring Knives
- Best Kitchen Knife Sets
- Best Carving Knife
- Best Bread Knives
- Best Japanese Knives
- Best Steak Knives
- Best Boning Knife
- Best Utility Knife
- Best Magnetic Knife Holder
- Best Brisket Slicing Knife
- Best Cleavers
- Best Knife Roll
- Best Nakiri Knives
- Best Knife Block Sets
- Best Honing Steel
- Knife Recommendations For Female Chefs
- Best Aprons
- Unique Knives
- Best Butcher Knives
- Why You Need A Butcher Knife In Your Kitchen
- Best Whetstones
- What Makes A Good Fillet Knife?
- Best Santoku Knives
- Everything You Need To Know About The Paring Knife
- Different Types of Utility Knives
- The Difference Between A Santoku Knife & Chef Knife
- Best Knife Sharpeners
- Why is there a hole in a meat cleaver?
- 5 Knives Every BBQ Chef Should Own
- The Difference Between A Fillet Knife & Boning Knife
- Best Cutting Boards
- Dalstrong vs Wusthof
- How To Choose A Cutting Board
- How To Choose A Kitchen Apron
- How To Cut A Dragon Fruit
- Best Meat Shredding Claws
- What is a Gyuto Knife?
- 7 Ruthlessly Sharp Knives For Butchers
- Best Charcuterie & Cheese Knife Set
- Best Kiritsuke Knives
You can also check in with our Expert Knife Finder Quiz and get specific recommendations based on your needs.