- What Are Kitchen Essentials?
- Kitchen Essentials And Their Uses
- Dalstrong’s Kitchen Essentials You Need
- Frequently Asked Questions
There are a number of kitchen tools that can be your kitchen essentials. While things like paper towels, aprons, oven mitts, kitchen mats, dish racks, and soap dispensers are important to one home cook, salad spinners, bowl sets, and parchment papers are important to another.
Kitchenware tools are great, but let’s talk about the most important ones you and your kitchen simply can’t do without. Is it a knife set? Or is it a spatula set? So, in this blog, I will be walking you through the most popular kitchen essentials and how you can make the most out of them.
1. What Are Kitchen Essentials?
Kitchen essentials can make your experience in the kitchen ten folds smarter and quicker. Need to reduce your prep time and cook time? Prep tools like mixing bowls, measuring spoons/cups, wooden cutting boards, prep bowls, kitchen shears, spoons sets, paper towels, parchment paper, salad spinners, and storage containers can make a huge difference. I consider these the ‘essential’ essentials.
But, on the other hand, we have a few more essential tools that could be just as important. Such as spatula sets, fish spatulas or fish turners, knife sharpeners, honing rods, oven safe pots and pans sets or kitchen utensils sets, oven mitts, dish racks for kitchen organization, sheet pans, rolling pins, graters, razor-sharp knives, and ready to be put to use.
The best knives are sharp, ergonomic, sturdy, and easy to clean. The most common knives that can make life a lot easier for you in the kitchen may be a serrated knife, paring knife, chefs knife, and bread knife. Now, let’s talk about what each of these kitchen essentials is designed for.
2. Kitchen Essentials And Their Uses
Mixing bowls Or Prep Bowls
Bowl sets are the most vital piece of any kitchen. Just like pots and pans sets and spatula sets, these are often forgotten because of how little time we spend using them, although we use them multiple times each day. Stainless steel mixing bowl sets are perfect for you if you're looking for sturdy and durable ones.
They can handle hot and cold foods without taking on any damage. They are super easy to clean and can sit well on dish racks comfortably without rusting or staining.
Once again, stainless steel measuring cups are much better than the plastic kind. Not only are these more sustainable, but they’re also highly durable. If you’re looking for a different material, a glass measuring cups set is another excellent alternative. Liquid measuring cups are much better than measuring spoons as they can help you portion out food without much arm-work.
Cutting boards are quite literally the foundation of greatly-cooked meals. While it is enjoyable to eat great food, people eat with their eyes first! So, plating and serving well-chopped and precisely-cut foods are just as important. Moreover, choosing wood chopping boards over plastic cutting boards is crucial, too.
Wood, especially Teak wood, is an excellent material for chopping boards as it is resistant to heat, cold, and moisture. The board doesn’t absorb bacteria or swell up with water when washed. Plastic boards aren’t sustainable or ergonomic to use. And, most importantly, they are prone to slipping and sliding on the countertop, which can cause serious injuries.
Kitchen shears, just like the knives on your knife block, are the sharpest, most essential tools in your kitchen. If you’re big on making broths or love microgreens and other herbs with your meals, shears can quickly snip them while you’re on the go when in the kitchen.
If you experiment with cuisines or are big on Korean and Japanese dishes, you can chop up meat the traditional way too – With kitchen shears.
Spoons are by far, the most-used piece of cutlery. Let me elaborate. Tasting spoons, salad spoons, measuring spoons, and dinner spoons are all a part of everyday cooking. While wooden spoons are used for stirring broths and gravies in stock pots or Le Creusets, slotted spoons are used to pick up pieces of meat from hot oil or poached eggs from hot water.
Tasting spoons, on the other hand, are used by home cooks and professional chefs to maintain hygiene levels in the kitchen while tasting and testing foods made in large batches or busy kitchens. Metal spoon sets are perfect for most home cooks.
Food Storage Containers
Storage containers can significantly reduce cooking time as you can prep meals in advance by storing fruits, veggies, and meat in them. This also improves the quality of food as some foods can be used for longer periods when refrigerated and stored correctly in containers.
You can increase the longevity of green onions, kale, carrots, and lettuce, by storing them in containers with half a cup of water.
I’m certain that a spatula is a universally-loved piece of kitchen essentials! Slotted spatulas and silicone spatulas are both great and used for different tasks. Silicone spatulas are great for adding frosting over cupcakes and cakes, whereas slotted spatulas flip and turn veggies and meats. If you’re looking for a spatula that is scratch-free and resistant to extreme temperatures, fish spatulas are perfect for you.
Knife Sharpeners And Honing Rods
Knife sharpeners can enhance the quality of your knife ten folds. Be it, a serrated knife, paring knife, or bread knife, a sharpener with the correct grit can bring the dullest blades back to life. Honing rods on the other hand straighten the edge and angle of your knife. Some knives can lose their balance and angle after being used on large fruits, vegetables, and stubborn cuts of meat.
Stock pots are excellent cooking utensils that I personally consider to be an ‘all-rounder’. Quite literally. Stock pots are excellent especially for the colder months as you can make broths, soups, stews, and sauces ahead of time.
You can make large batches and keep them in storage containers. Available in multiple sizes, there is something here for everyone. I like to use my stock pots for making large batches of kimchi and marinara sauce.
A skillet/frying pan is the be-all and end-all in the culinary world. Perfect for folks that want something that is a blend of classic and modern cooking pieces. Saute pans and skillets can be used as an alternative to cast iron pans as they’re oven safe, sturdy, and have tremendous heat retention.
You can use a pan that doesn’t have a nonstick coating and sear meats or veggies, just like you would in a cast iron. Dalstrong’s pans are broiler and oven safe, so you get the best of both worlds with them.
Graters are extremely versatile. These hand-held kitchen gadgets move across the surface of the cheese and some fruits for shavings and zesting that are then used for garnishing foods. You can place a block of cheese on the grater and get shredded cheese for pasta, stews, and soups.
Graters can also be used on lemons, oranges, and chocolates for shavings. You can either garnish plates with these shavings or add them to your mixing bowl with other ingredients to add a tinge of flavor.
3. Dalstrong’s Kitchen Essentials You Need
A chefs knife is a versatile knife in your kitchen, and this 8-inch chef’s knife is going to make chopping and cutting feel like a breeze. With scalpel-like sharpness and top-notch edge retention, you can now cut longer and go further. Made with an AUS-10V Japanese super steel core and 67 layers of Damascus steel, it’s time to make the most out of your kitchen essentials.
- Full tang for all the robustness and balance that you need.
- Rust and corrosion-resistant cladding for a cleaner and more durable knife.
- Hand-polished spine for an eloquent appearance to turn heads.
- You could be on the lookout for a longer blade if you’re a seasoned home cook.
- If you’re looking for a knife with serrations for cleaner cuts without budging the texture of delicate foods, a serrated knife might be a better fit for you.
Made with a Japanese AUS-10V super steel cutting core that is hardened at 62+ Rockwell for a sturdy and robust slicing experience. Mirror-polished bolster for a comfortable pinch grip that is not only convenient but eloquent to look at, too.
- Hand-polished spine for all the balance that you need.
- Featuring Dalstrong’s infamous Tsunami Rose blade pattern that stands out.
- Nitrogen-cooled for a corrosion-resistant nature.
- You could be on the lookout for a longer blade length if you want to slice large fruits.
- Looking for a grunge-like aesthetic that can turn heads? Check out the Shadow Black series.
A bread knife is undoubtedly a kitchen essential that can’t be missed. This precision-forged, ultra-sharp, and wear-resistant bread knife is hand-sharpened at 16-18º degrees on each side. The titanium-nitride coating of this knife gives it its corrosion-resistant nature, enhancing its durability ten folds.
- Hand-polished for a smooth, satin-like finish on the vacuum-treated steel blade that is hardened at 58+ Rockwell.
- Added amounts of chromium for stain resistance.
- Tempered for sturdiness and durability.
- The dark, mysterious aesthetic of this knife is not everyone’s cup of tea.
- If you’re big on cakes, loaves of bread, and other baked treats, a longer blade length may be more beneficial.
This serrated knife is made with premium quality Japanese AUS-10V super steel cutting core that is hardened at 62+ Rockwell for a robust finish and unrivaled edge retention. With 67 layers of Damascus, this serrated utility knife deserves a place on your knife block. It is ruthlessly sharp and is hand-finished at a striking 8-12 degree angle.
- The spine on this blade has an enhanced pinch grip that makes it comfortable to maneuver the knife.
- The handle is triple riveted for a safe and steady slicing process.
- Enjoy the ultra-premium G10 Garolite handle that doesn’t cause wrist or arm fatigue. Sounds like a perfect knife to me, folks.
- Some home cooks make do with a bread knife for slicing fruits and veggies. However, the angle of this knife is designed for fruits and veggies.
- This knife’s blade length could be ‘playing it too safe’ for a seasoned chef.
5. Professional Coarse Wide Cheese Grater
Grate, slice, shave, and zest with one hand-held kitchen tool. This Dalstrong grater is made with 304 steel and has a G10 handle for all the grip you need when shaving or zesting food. The blades are designed with premium-quality steel for a rust-free experience.
- Lightweight and impervious to moisture, acids, and heat.
- The handle is made with fiberglass and resin material for all the durability your grater needs.
- Enjoy the protective sheath that comes with this grater for a safe and durable experience.
- You could be looking for a different shape on the blade. Don’t fret, Dalstrong has you covered with a variety of graters to choose from.
- If you don’t work with cheeses and citrus fruits, you may not be able to enjoy this grater at its complete potential.
This stock pot from the Avalon series is perfect if you’re a home cook or chef often cooking for over 6-8 people. Made with a 5-ply copper forged foundation, this stock pot is a best-seller for heating up 5x better than iron and 20x better than stainless steel. This is a kitchen essential you can’t miss out on. Searing, boiling, or frying food, this is your one-stop shop for it all.
- The ultra-strong thickness of 2.5mm prevents denting and warping under high temperatures.
- Thanks to the engraved side handle, you can now transition easily from your oven to the stovetop.
- The vented hole on the lid acts as a pressure release.
- Looking to upsize or down-size your stock pot? Check out our collection of Stock Pots.
- Prefer a different color? Check out this stock pot from the Oberon series.
7. 12" Sauté Frying Pan Silver | Oberon Series
Made with a 3-ply aluminum core, this saute frying pan is fused with thick layers of nonreactive 18/10 stainless steel for a smooth cooking experience. This pan is polished with layers of nylon and satin and has a scratch-resistant nature. The lid on this saute frying pan is made with thick cast steel. With tremendous heat conductivity, this is a pan your kitchen needs for quick weeknight dinners and easy lunches.
- This pan is oven and broiler-safe up to 600º F.
- Compatible with the refrigerator and freezer.
- Engraved side handle for a comfortable yet sturdy grip.
- If you’re a fan of nonstick cookware, you can get your hands on the nonstick version of this pan right here.
- The size of this pan could make it a little difficult to store, especially if you have a compact kitchen.
This Teak wood cutting board is the embodiment of ‘function meeting form’. Designed with moisturizing oils, this board is naturally resistant to moisture, heat, and cold. The classic edge-grain pattern is a testament to its beauty. The tight-wood grain is not only stunning to look at, but also slip-resistant.
- This board is resistant to warping and can take on heavy and hot utensils.
- This chopping block can be used over your countertop or sink, thanks to its unique design and structure.
- With two steel handles on either side, this board can be used as a serving tray or even as a charcuterie tray.
- You could be on the lookout for a board that is smaller in size. Check out Dalstrong’s chopping boards here to find your perfect match.
- You may prefer a chopping board that looks out of the ordinary and is captivating to look at. And hey, we’ve got you covered with this Wood Fibre Cutting Board.
9. #3000 / #8000 Grit Premium Whetstone Set
This premium-quality whetstone set has a grit of #3000 and #8000 for all your knife emergencies. The #3000 stone is perfect to sharpen damaged or dull blades. The #8000 stone rejuvenates your knife’s blade by giving it a smooth, mirror-like polish with a staggering edge retention to top it off.
- These knife sharpeners work on both German and Japanese-style knives, scissors, and blades.
- When purchasing your stones, you can also opt for an Acacia Wood Base that is compatible with the stones – Maximum protection for sharpening stones is here, folks.
- These sharpening stones are eloquent and classy to look at – Making the perfect gift for home cooks and seasoned chefs.
- You could be looking for a rust eraser to go with your knife sharpeners. And, we’ve got you covered.
- Looking for a different grit to sharpen your knives? Check out this whetstone set.
10. Professional Kitchen Scissors 420J2 Japanese Stainless Steel
There is nothing more satisfying than a complete knife set. Which of course, includes a sharp pair of kitchen shears. The blades on these kitchen scissors are made with 420J2 Japanese stainless steel and have an ambidextrous design, making them comfortable to hold and easy to maneuver.
- The detachable blades make it super easy to clean these scissors.
- The blade is stain-resistant, which adds to its durability.
- Enjoy the built-in nutcracker as an added benefit.
- If you aren’t particular about having a full-fledged knife set, investing in a pair of kitchen shears may not be of much use to you. Although, these shears are quite versatile.
- If you like to chop your greens, a paring knife may be better suited to your needs.
4. Frequently Asked Questions
What is essential in a kitchen?
Kitchen essentials are different for everyone. However, the most common kitchen tools and gadgets are knives, pots, pans, graters, knife sharpeners, and chopping boards.
What do I need in my new kitchen?
Your new kitchen could work smart with gadgets like a salad spinner, grater, measuring cup, mixing bowl, pots and pans set, coffee maker, and sharp, sturdy knives.
What is the most important item in the kitchen?
‘Important’ could mean something different for each individual, but a place to start and set up your kitchen for success would be with a knife set and a pots and pan set.